We totally understand you might prefer something more exciting and catchy than the standard hold music provided. Before you consider this, there are a couple of barriers:

  1.  it is against the law to play copyrighted music as hold or waiting music without the proper license
  2. telephones work on a very narrow spectrum- most music will not sound as you expect and be scratchy and garbled

Getting a License

In the United States, you must have a Music on Hold License to play copyrighted music for your callers. One of these licenses can be obtained from organizations such as the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) or Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). Together, they represent hundreds of thousands of music creators and can issue you the proper license to legally use music for your conference.

In the United Kingdom, you'll require  a Public Performance Licence (PPL) and a Performing Rights Society Licence (PRS)

Other countries will have similar licences and you should seek legal advice.

If this sounds a nightmare, we do provide some free audio files that are legal to use.

Did this answer your question?